Akshaya Tritiya is being celebrated across the country today. The word Akshaya means “never diminishing” as the festival is associated with wealth, prosperity and happiness. It is also known as ‘Akha Teej’, an annual spring festival of Hindus and Jains. It is celebrated on the third day of Vaishakh month. It is considered to be the most auspicious day to start a new venture.
Akshaya Tritiya has lot of religious significance:
1. It is the birthday of Lord Parashurama, one of the ten Dashavataras of Lord Vishnu.
2. It is the starting day of Treta Yuga after Satya Yuga.
3. It is the day when Sudama offered Aval to Lord Krishna, who in turn blessed him with bountiful wealth and happiness.
4. Lord Krishna gave the Akshaya Patra to Draupadi when the Pandavas started for the Vanavasa, so that they always has food in abundance.
5. Veda Vyasa started writing the epic Mahabharata.
6. The Holy Ganges descended upon the Earth.
7. The annual Rath Yatra in Puri Jagannath begins on this day.
What can we do on Akshaya Tritiya?
It is considered very auspicious to buy gold and silver on this day. Goddess Lakshmi signifies gold and silver and it is said that if one invests in gold and silver on this day, Goddess Lakshmi will bless with prosperity and wealth.
Any business started on this day is bound to flourish. No Muhurtam is required to perform Griha Pravesham on Akshaya Tritiya. Annadanam on this day brings great benefits to the donors. Cow feeding will relieve one of his sins and doshas.
Fasting, religious and spiritual pursuits, charity, japa on Akshaya Tritiya are considered sacred. Worshiping Goddess Lakshmi and Lord Vishnu will bestow upon us the blessings of the Supreme Lord.
Let us celebrate this auspicious festival with great fervour and receive bountiful wealth, prosperity and happiness.
HAPPY AKSHAYA TRITIYA!