Chou Tzu-yu, a singer and dancer with South Korean K-pop girl group TWICE, celebrates her 20th birthday on Friday. According to the Korean age calendar, she is 21, and turns 22 on January 1 next year.
Tzuyu, as she is known, has made huge strides professionally since being chosen as one of nine band members in 2015 at the culmination of the Korean reality show Sixteen.
TWICE are the bestselling South Korean girl group, and in April they released their seventh EP, “Fancy You”, with the lead single, Fancy.
As one of the fiercest K-Pop groups on the planet, it’s no surprise each member of TWICE is equally talented. The girl group is comprised of nine members, but if you’re wondering if I have a bias, I don’t. It’s far too hard to choose when the TWICE ladies are all absolute superstars. That’s why I’d like to introduce you to Tzuyu, who, at 20-years-old, has become one of the most recognizable faces in the K-Pop world. If you’re not already acquainted with the songstress, these facts about TWICE’s Tzuyu are sure to make an instant fan out of you.
Tzuyu is entirely fearless when it comes to being herself, and she’s never afraid to make a statement. Since winning a spot in TWICE at the end of the Korean competition show Sixteen, she’s made statement after statement by way of her striking fashion, love for her country, and awe-inspiring dance moves. Believe me when I say, the more you learn about Tzuyu, the more impressed you’ll be with her. With the TWICE ladies taking the K-Pop world by storm, here’s all you need to know about Tzuyu — a member who shines so bright both on-stage and off.
In an interview on the Naver V app, Tzuyu explained how helpful her fellow TWICE ladies have been teaching her Korean, which is a second language for her.
“Korean is still difficult for me. The words that sunbaes use during broadcasts still sounds unfamiliar to me,” she said. “The unnies take care of me more and try to be good to me since I’m from overseas.”
1. She’s The Maknae
Tzuyu was born on June 14, 1999, making her the youngest member of TWICE (aka, the maknae). Despite being the youngest, Tzuyu holds her own and slays the stage with the best of them every time.
2. She’s Taiwanese
It should be noted, while Tzuyu is part of an amazing K-Pop group, she’s actually Taiwanese. Basically, Tzuyu is leaving her mark everywhere she goes. She’s incredibly proud of her heritage and is never afraid to show it. It’s even brought her closer to her bandmates.
3. Her Nickname is Yoda
After several of her fellow TWICE bandmates compared Tzuyu to Yoda from the Star Wars film series, it’s become a frequently used nickname for her.
ONCE continued to call her Yoda, and the name stuck. Tzuyu is known to bring her own Star Wars memorabilia to fan meet and greets, and even imitate Yoda at times.
- Tzuyu’s nicknames are “Chocolate” (chocolate) due to her dark skin, “Chewy” and “Yoda”.
- She is a fan of Star Wars “Yoda” and portrays him very well. That’s why one of his nicknames is Yoda.
- Tzuyu’s English name is Sally Chou.
- She likes the spring season. It is true that she is afraid of the winter months because she becomes easily sick.
- Tzuyu’s favorite color is indigo.
- Tzuyu sleeps with her eyes open.
- She loves chocolate milk.
- Tzuyu’s favorite dishes are tonkatsu and kimbap.
- Tzuyu likes her eyes and chin the most on her body.
- She previously announced that she wore braces.
- Tzuyu admitted that she was a huge fan of the Sistar group and especially liked Hyorin.
- She likes pop music and especially likes Beyonce.
- Her hobbies include watching performance and eating delicious food.
Where Is Tzuyu From?
- Tzuyu became the first Taiwanese K-Pop idol.
- Tzuyu was once asked if she had dreams in Korean or Chinese. Tzuyu’s answer was clear: I don’t know. My dreams are generally silent.
- Taiwanese voted Tzuyu as the most popular queen.
Tzuyu and Archery
- Tzuyu, whose hair was accidentally lifted while shooting arrows at the Idol Athletics Championships, was on the trending topics at that time.